Securing your wireless network

Some handy tips on securing home wireless networks…

Source: Securing your wireless network

Advertisements

Make mysql databases default to UTF8

By default MySQL databases are created with one of the latin charsets – as if globalization never happened – and just asking for future internationalization and charset issues. UTF8 is the generally accepted way forward (for now) and there are few occasions that it isn’t the best charset to use.

Ideally, some sort of framework config system will take care of this but otherwise for existing MySQL databases, you can find out their current charset by entering the MySQL terminal and typing:

SELECT default_character_set_name FROM information_schema.SCHEMATA WHERE schema_name = "myDatabase";

The problem is changing the character set of an in-use databases can be troublesome and you have to remember to specify UTF8 as the charset every time you create a new database. Also many database tools (e.g. PHP’s Doctrine) do not currently support creating a database with a non-default charset.

The best solution is to set the default charset to UTF8 straight after installing mysql and avoid the problems before the occur. This can be done simply by modifying /etc/mysql/my.cnf (note my.conf may be located elsewhere) and adding the following lines to the [mysqld] section:

collation-server = utf8_general_ci
character-set-server = utf8

Then restart the MySQL service:

sudo service mysql restart

Now new databases will now be created using the UTF8 character by default.

Discovering on Mac OS X: vi -> vim

Ok, I admit it, I’ve only just now found out! Seems the vi terminal command on Mac OS X just points to vim anyway and always has done:

$ ls -l /usr/bin/vi
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  3  9 Nov  2015 /usr/bin/vi -> vim

I started using a Mac as my main machine for software development in 2009 and have mostly used one since. Given the number of times I have typed a completely redundant m multiplied by the number of years I have been doing it for makes for some frightening numbers.

As a very quick and rough calculation, I made a quick Python doodle estimating how many times I probably opened vim everyday in each year (trying to judge how heavily I might have typed vim per day each year based on role and environment etc.), here here is basic estimation:

Kind of simplistic and assuming:

  1. Approximation of per day opening frequency
  2. Coding 235 full days a year
    (based on: work days + some weekend days + some evenings – holiday days)

This, depressingly, outputs:

237350 seconds

Which is a lot of redundant key strokes! Assuming I type the command at rate of 80 wpm, according to this website this is a kph (keystroke per hour rate) of around 20,000.

This, even more depressingly, equates to :

11.9 hours

The equivalent of a long day wasted …to add to the many I’ve encountered as a Software Developer.